- If the fellowship scholarship payment requires any services to be performed, this would be considered compensation. Please consult employee guidelines for further information.
- If award is for scholarship or fellowship payment to provide financial support for a student in a degree program. Go to Step 2.
- If award is for fellowship payment to provide for an individual to conduct their own research. Go to Step 2.
Step 2: Determine if foreign student or scholar is eligible to receive funding
- Review Scholarship Fellowship Visa Eligibility Chart to determine eligibility.
- If not, eligible, please contact Graduate Division or Financial Aid for further information.
Step 3: Complete appropriate paperwork to set up Scholarship or Fellowship payment
Graduate Division Funding
- Complete Departmental Allocation Recommendations form (see Logon to Graduate Division Intranet in Related Information).
- Go to Step 5.
- Complete Award Transmittal (Form 10) for graduate-based funding. (see Logon to Graduate Division Intranet in Related Information) Go to Step 5.
- Complete Financial Aid Award Transmittal Form (see link in Related Information) for undergraduates.
- Go to Step 5.
Payment is being processed at UCLA to an individual who is not a registered student
Stop: Contact UCLA Graduate Financial Services to determine how to proceed: (310) 825-1025.
Payment is being processed by UC Office of the President
Stop: Contact UCLA Nonresident Tax Compliance Administrator: Please open a case to contact the Nonresident Team.
Step 4: Identify award type
- If award is limited to amounts not exceeding mandatory fees and/or non-resident tuition: Go to Step 8.
- If funding is towards living expenses (funding outside of, or exceeding fees and non-resident tuition in connection with enrollment at UCLA): Go to Step 5.
- If funding is toward a student’s taxable travel expenses: Go to Step 5.
- If funding is toward living expenses that are from a foreign source of for a recipient currently outside the United States: Complete Foreign Sourced Income Statement: Go to Step 8.
Step 5: Determine if tax documents are required
- Permanent Resident, Asylum status, or Refugees: Complete IRS Form W-9 and Go to Step 8.
- All Others: Go to Step 6.
Step 6: Complete Initial GLACIER© Online Entry Form: Refer to link in Related Information
- A GLACIER record can be requested, once the visitor has arrived in the U.S.
- Initial GLACIER© Online Entry Form will begin the GLACIER process by instructing the Central Resource Unit to set up a GLACIER record for the individual.
- Enter the correct Relationship Type and Income Type that corresponds to the fellowship being issued.
- Scholarship/Fellowship Relationship Types include: UCLA Student, Post Doctoral Scholar/Visiting Scholar and All Others.
- Scholarship/Fellowship Income Types include: Scholarship/Fellowship: Award, Scholarship/Fellowship: Taxable Post doc Benefits, and Scholarship/Fellowship: Other.
- Go to Step 7.
Step 7: Provide the following information to the foreign individual
- An email from firstname.lastname@example.org with GLACIER logon information will be sent to them. This email is not spam or phish so that they should not ignore it or delete it.
- Instruct individual to select the appropriate Relationship and Income Type as indicated on Initial GLACIER© Online Entry Form.
- They must complete their GLACIER Tax Record in a timely manner in order to receive payment.
- Once completed: print, sign, date and submit the required tax forms and supporting information indicated on their GLACIER Tax Summary Report to the Central Resource Unit (CRU) by opening a case with CRU.
- All GLACIER forms and documents should be submitted directly to the Central Resource Unit by foreign individual.
- Physical copies can be be submitted additionally to:
Central Resource Unit
10920 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 620
Mail Code: 141648
- Go to Step 8.
Step 8: Forward transmittal documents to:
Graduate Financial Services
Graduate Students or Postdoctoral/Visiting Scholars